By joining the UBC Engineering Co-op Program, you will be well prepared, academically and professional, for your future career. According to our Co-op employers, over 90% are interested in hiring Co-op students for permanent positions upon graduation.
Co-op is an option available to students in all of the engineering disciplines at the UBC Vancouver and Okanagan campus, both undergraduate and at the masters-level. Learn more about where and what our students have done at previous work terms by review our discipline specific pages.
Students of any citizenship can participate.
As a Co-op student you will:
- Gain up to 20 months of practical, paid technical engineering related work experience
- Develop industry networks and mentoring opportunities with professionals
- Gain up to 12 months work credit towards your Engineer In Training (EIT) status
- Work in B.C., across Canada or around the world
- Master your resume, cover letter, job search and interview skills
- Earn while you learn
- Enhance your employability for after graduation
Who we are
The UBC Engineering Co-op office was established in 1980 and has grown to be Western Canada’s largest Engineering Co-op program. With over 4,500 employer partnerships, we have facilitated thousands of connections between our students with local, national, and international companies. Our Coordinators and Program Assistants are here to provide you with superb training and guidance throughout your professional career development. This is in addition to the thousands of employment opportunities and professional networking opportunities. Learn more about our program Vision, Mission and Core Objectives.
Admission to the Engineering Co-op Program is competitive. Applicants must demonstrate strong communication skills, a solid academic foundation, professional maturity, as well as experience that could be directly and/or indirectly related to science, engineering, technical, professional skills.
|STUDENT||WHEN TO APPLY|
|Undergraduates Engineering – any discipline||September of Year 2|
|UNBC / UBC Environmental Engineering||September of Year 3|
|Masters of Engineering and Masters of Applied Science||September of Year 1|
What are the co-op schedules?
Schedules have been pre-arranged in accordance to academic and departmental requirements. The alternation and duration of your academic and work terms will vary depending on your discipline. In general:
- The Co-op Program will add a year to your Bachelor of Applied Science degree.
- Students enrolled in co-op at the Masters-level will add 4 or 8 months to their program.
- It may be possible to change your schedule with advanced notice, approval from an academic advisor and approval from a co-op coordinator.
Does it cost anything?
The Engineering Co-op Program is an optional program to enhance your undergraduate experience and professional career development. As a supplemental learning program, it receives no funding from the University so co-op tuition fees are used to cover the costs directly related to the effective management, operations and promotion of the program. From pre-employment training, to individual coaching, to access to exclusive job postings, the student fees is a small investment when compared to your larger reward.
Can I connect to some of your students?
You will have an opportunity to hear directly from previous engineering co-op students during your first year at UBC as well as during the application process (Intake Group Presentation). You can also read our student stories.