Hiring a student in the United States

DSC_3478A Step by Step Visa Guide to Employing a UBC Engineering Co-op student

It is easier than ever for United States employers to hire the best and brightest Engineering Co-op students from the University of British Columbia (UBC). The Faculty of Applied Science at UBC houses UBC Engineering, one of North America’s premier Engineering schools, bringing together 11 Engineering disciplines. Our Engineering Co-op students combine classroom learning with practical and paid work experience internationally. Our students are available for 4-, 8-, 12-, or 16-months.

The UBC Engineering Co-op Program provides students with consistent and ongoing support to allow the opportunity to work within many of the United States’ most innovative and unique organizations, while making it easy for employers to attract top international engineering talent.

Our UBC Engineering Co-op students understand that in order to work in the United States one must be an American Citizen, American Permanent Resident or they will be required to obtain a valid work Visa. In most cases, our students require a “J-1 Visa”. The following process outlines the steps required for a student to legally work in the United States.

Step 1: The employer confirms with the UBC Engineering co-op student which party will be responsible for acquiring a J-1 Visa (for most organizations, the responsibility is left to the student, and the steps are explained below).
Step 2: The student receives and accepts an offer of co-op employment from a company in the United States; this is required for all Visa paperwork. An offer letter should include start and end date, salary, location and engineering duties.
Step 3: The student files an Application Request through Cultural Vistas, www.culturalvistas.org, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, who is authorized by the U.S. Department of State.
Step 4: Cultural Vistas will contact both the employer and the student to follow up on further steps to obtain a J-1 Visa.
Step 5: Once the paperwork is processed, the student will be mailed a package containing the J-1 Visa documents and the SEVIS Form (note: the SEVIS I-901 fee must be paid by the student prior to USA arrival).
Step 6: Travel to the United States is now permitted, and you will have one of UBC’s top Engineering Co-op students.

For more information or to post a position, please contact the us at 604-822-3022 or eng.coop@ubc.ca

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Faculty of Applied Science
5000-2332 Main Mall,
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z4, Canada
UBC Engineering Co-op Program
2385 East Mall,
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z4, Canada
Tel: 604-822-3022
Fax: 604-822-3449

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC  | © Copyright The University of British Columbia