Applications for 2018/2019 academic year opportunities are now open.
Entry into the Coordinated International Experience program is competitive. To be considered for the program, you must:
- be an undergraduate student in the Faculty of Applied Science entering the correct eligibility year and term for your discipline (listed below)
- have achieved at least a 70% average in the most recent academic term of full time studies prior to application and maintain a 70% average prior to your exchange departure (or 80% average in both cases for Bachelor of Environmental Design students)
- be a full-time student as defined by the Faculty of Applied Science; and
- be a UBC student in good standing
Coordinated International Experience academic term dates
Students can go abroad through CIE during the following academic year and terms:
Year 3, Term 2
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Geological Engineering
- Integrated Engineering (*also open to Year 4)
- Materials Engineering (*also open to Year 4)
- UBC Okanagan School of Engineering (Civil, Electrical, and Mechanical)
Year 3.5, Term 2
- Mechanical Engineering
Year 4, Term 2
- Environmental Engineering
- Integrated Engineering (*also open to Year 3)
- Materials Engineering (*also open to Year 3)
Year 4, Term 1
- Engineering Physics
- Bachelor of Environmental Design
Partner Institution Schedules
The academic calendar at each CIE partner institution differs from UBC’s term dates, and CIE students are expected to follow the partner institution’s semester dates. Below are the typical range of dates for our partner universities, but check your partner institution’s website for their latest schedule.
- Europe (except TUM):
- Spring Semester or Semester 2: ~ January/February – June/July
- Autumn Semester or Semester 1: ~ September – mid-December/January
- Winter Semester: ~October – March
- Summer Semester: ~April – September
- Semester 2: January – May
- Semester 1: August/September – December
- Semester 1: ~February – June/July
- Semester 2: ~July – November/December
Students should plan their study abroad period to ensure that they will be available for the duration of the course dates and official examination dates at the chosen partner institution
How to Apply
Please apply online in the PD Portal. Login under “Student” and navigate to “CIE” –> “Current Opportunities” (you do not need to be a co-op student to apply – please use your UBC CWL for login).
You will need to include the following information within your application package by the deadline:
- CIE application form. Download the fillable PDF form from the PD Portal –> CIE –> Overview. Include:
- your name, contact details, student number and discipline;
- your GPA for your most recent academic term of full time studies prior to application;
- your chosen CIE partner institution (students may submit only one application with their first choice institution);
- the name and course number of the courses you want to take at the CIE partner institution (refer to our course mappings for the latest pre-approved courses); and
- a statement of intent as to why you should be considered for participation in the CIE program by the partner institution (300 – 500 words).
- Current resume
- Unofficial transcript (latest grades and course record from SSC; an official transcript is not required)
Once submitted, your application will be reviewed at UBC. Once approved by UBC, applicants are nominated to Coordinated International Experience partners for consideration. The CIE partner institutions make the final decisions on whether applicants are accepted.
All courses that students request at the partner institutions must be engineering courses (or environmental design courses for Bachelor of Environmental Design students) pre-approved by the CIE office and the Faculty of Applied Science to ensure that the credits transfer back to UBC.
- First Round (Term 1 and Term 2 opportunities): Thursday, January 18th, 2018 at 4:00pm
- Second Round (limited availability and Term 2 opportunities only): Friday, May 4th, 2018 at 4:00pm
Applications for opportunities during the 2017/18 academic year are now closed.
If you are interested in attending a CIE partner institution in a future term, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on application opportunities.